Providing Gardening Education
Through various educational activities, UGC hopes to spread knowledge about growing gardens as well as eating seasonally and supporting local agriculture.
- Beyond the Backyard – garden-related workshops offered throughout the year for all in the community interested in learning from one another through hands-on time in the garden.
- Foxfire Fridays – community skill-share gatherings to trade talents and stories related to urban homesteading beyond the garden.
- After-school Garden Clubs – partnering with the Waco Independent School District and World Hunger Relief Farm to support their work with five elementary and middle school campuses in Waco.
Strengthening the Local Food Economy
Beyond gardening, the UGC hopes to reinvest in the local community through various projects that encourage agrarian enterprises that contribute to building a local food economy
- Waco Downtown Farmers Market - The UGC operates a co-op booth for school and community gardens to sell their produce at Market. We are there every other Saturday 9am-1pm, rain or shine.
Promoting Youth and Community Service
Lastly, the UGC hopes to provide opportunities for green-thumbs and unlikely gardeners to meet in the garden and get to know one another through garden-related service to the community.
- MLK Day of Service – held every January to prepare for the spring garden season, UGC coordinates garden clean-ups and plantings for gardens across the greater Waco community.